Monday 26 November 2012

Classic Reads

I have a smart phone.
I got one this year.
I resisted, i believe a phone is for making phone calls and I don't really need the other stuff, however when my phone started failing at making phone calls it was time to get a new phone, and unfortunately (for me) all the available phones are smart phones.
Can i just rant about my love of buttons, and the fact that I don't love typing a text message on a touch screen, buttons meant I could type and feel in tune with my electronic devices..but whatever... (and I wasn't going to get a blackberry because those buttons are about a quarter the size of my fingers!!!)
 ANYWAY, regardless of my resistance I've got the smart phone now, so I might as well use it. And one of the things it has is books!
I love reading, and reading on my phone means I can read wherever I am even if I forgot to grab a book. It's perfect
I read for two reasons
1. The free classics available on my android phone (thanks to google books). I recognize the titles and have a general idea about the story but don't really know the details.

2. I was taught to do much with the little I have so that God can bless me with more. So I have big huge dreams of changing the world (starting with Zambia), but rather than saying I'll do it all when I am older and richer, there are some things I can do now. One of which is pay attention in medical school, and another is buy second hand books and begin the collection that will be my library.
I have been collecting books for years (probably 5 books a year...), and I read all the books I send back home, I look for children to young adult books. I was originally buying for someone in particular so as the person grew the books I was collecting changed. I believe in exposing them to new ideas and to controversial ways of looking at the world. I will keep you updated on this as well.

But this blog is just about the classics I have found myself reading.

Sherlock Holmes
  • I have watched the new movie, and a few episodes of the slightly older show, plus I used to watch the cartoon from the 90s (Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century)
  • Basically, I know who Sherlock Holmes is and what he does.
  • What was an amazing surprise was the writing. I was hooked from the first page, I wanted to know what would happen, I wanted to know not just WHO did it but WHY they did it. The plots were downright ridiculous but amazing. I loved the reasoning for the crimes, it was awesome, even though a part of me found Sherlock Holme's rationalising absolutely ridiculous. I don't love Sherlock as a character but I don't think he is supposed to be loved entirely, I mean he is a drug addict for goodness sake!
Frankenstein
  • Honestly, I never realized that Frankenstein was the name of the scientist and the monster had no name, so this was my first misconception that was thrown out the window. And the monster isn't evil...at least not initially, in parts i hate the scientist...it was a great book!
  • This story is AMAZING. The writing is not cumbersome at all, and I was conflicted through out. just could NOT decide whether the monster was A monster or not. Whether or not I was sympathizing with him or condemning him. And that's the kind of book that really keeps me up at night way beyond my bed time, promising to go to bed after just one more chapter!
  • I truly recommend this one and I will be on the lookout for a hardcover copy.

I have attempted to read some classics and failed to get into it, I might try again...I might not.
I tried 3 musketeers, I tried Lord of the Rings (not really an ancient classic but it's still sitting on my bookcase withering away), Lewis Caroll is pretty hard to read for me as well.
But I have time and a second hand store nearby so when I fail to read a book I am more likely to go look for more books than struggle to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment