Friday 16 November 2012

Use it or lose it

I don't think it's really use it or lose but more use it or the time will pass and you will be left holding a useless artifact (but that didn't have as much of a ring to it).

Mom bought this textbook a long time ago (probably more than 10 years ago).
And my mom has this relationship with her books, she takes care of them, she doesn't remove the plastic wrapped disc on the back cover, and in the time I used this textbook I never removed the plastic wrap, either.
When I moved out, I 'stole' (with her permission) this textbook, and it just ocurred to me yesterday that the disc in the back is still plastic wrapped and never been used.
So I removed the platic wrap (I couldn't help but feel slightly scandalous).
And put it into the computer, and it was interesting:
1. It contains things that would have been useful during the past TEN years I have been using this textbook, and definitely would have been more useful in my biology and anatomy classes from undergrad and even highschool much more than in medicine.
2. It has animation skills of ten years ago, which would have been really exciting then, but looks sad now, compared to this for example.
3. And there is a bit that doesn't work, I suspect it doesn't work because it's just outdated now and doesn't relate to my computer they way it would have with whatever computer I had 10 years ago.

It was just an interesting and physical reminder that there is a time for everything and although you may not lose it, the time to have optimized it's usage may have passed.

For the record I don't really need it to study I was procrastinating, this is what happens when you sit at home studying, alone, for days on end. You begin remembering random things like the disc hiding behind that textbook you rarely even use!

My schedule
wake up
Study
eat breakfast
Study
Gym, lunch
Study
Dinner
Study
Sleep
Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment