Tuesday 27 November 2012

Why Poverty

Why Poverty
- It's a series of shows (available online and wherever you live), I think it will last a week = and there is a whole website associated with discussions and additional videos and articles.
- So far I have watched two episodes.
the first one was about the economic disparity on Park avenue, it was amazing considering it was just on ONE street.
 - It was thought provoking and reminded us that poverty isn't a problem with those people over there in a far away land, but in every collection of humanity there are the haves and have nots
AND THEN (imagine my eyes rolling at this point)
- The second episode was JUST about BONO and bob some thing raising funds for Africa. That's all it was a documentary about them. A tiny bit of criticism from a few Africans (probably less than 10 percent of the episode)
- After the incredibly insightful and informative first episode this one annoyed me, A LOT.
BUT I will continue to watch because they seem to have quite a bit of diversity in the shows

I can't afford to watch it on the Internet, they are just way too many videos but here is a link to what channel it will be showing on in your country.


---
Moving on to what I actually wanted to talk about today
My Library 

I will one day have a library. I have moved a lot and getting a library card is one of the first things I do, often i have a card for my community library and for my university library, sometimes even the card for the community near my community library.
In the library all things are good. In the library I have access to the world. There is something pretty darn amazing about libraries, long before google, libraries contained the answers to all my questions. And even in the world of google, libraries still have that quiet, clean,environment where everyone is looking for something. I love the atmosphere in a library and love finding a surprisingly good book. And love that sometimes people just go sit down and read in the library, so sometimes the library is filled with people just sitting there!
Additionally the library always gave me equality. When I didn't have Internet, or couldn't fax or whatever was lacking in my home I could go to the library and use it for free (usually and for a tiny cost the rest of the time). So even if I felt kind of poor sometimes my education never suffered because there was a library near by to give me access to things I just couldn't afford.

And so I will build one, and right now I don't have money for bricks but I do have money to slowly but surely collect books.

The person the books were initially aimed at will be graduating high school this year and going to university, so there were conversations about careers and what to do with life, so some of the books I currently have in my house are around these questions

The books currently in my house that I have read and will definitely be sending over.
  • Anonymous Lawyer
    • Amazing! About the work that we do and why we do it. About a man who stumbled upon a career and then gave it his whole life and then became part of a system and perpetuated the system, it's intense, it's the kind of character you love to hate. He is a horrible person and there really isn't any other way to look at it.
  • The Return
    • I used to tell the person, they can be whatever they want, even an astronaut! So when I found this book written by Buzz Aldrin I had to get it. Buzz is an astronaut and a huge proponent of the need to continue space travel, the need for humanity to continue looking beyond next door and pushing ourselves forward. Really interesting to see those ideas in fictional form, he is basically writing this story to get you as the reader excited about why space travel is important for humanity he wants to implant this sense of wonder and excitement about space!
  • I stumbled upon the entire Keys to the Kingdom collection and had to buy it even if it doesn't really help answer the questions of life.
    • But I happen to love fantasy because it generally has no nationality and focuses on general good versus evil themes and not very political or culturally tied, it generates it's own world
    • Plus I think Key's to the Kingdom has religious undertones which I like.
  • Speaking of religious undertones i have already sent the entire Chronicles of Narnia series
  • Speaking of series; I have sent all of Eragon and Series of unfortunate events.
  • I have failed to send Harry Potter because I have failed to read the entire series ( I think I have sent the first two books...maybe, I will try again), and if I buy a book I have to read it before it can be sent over. At this stage I feel I am responsible for the ideas I am sending, so yea there is some censorship, but of course that was because it was aimed at a young family member.
Books still sitting on my bookcase that I bought, failed to finish reading and therefore cannot send
  • Lord of the Rings: it's just long....
  • Ching Chong China Girl (the writing is spastic, it's basically just a collection of short short stories and they are so many characters I find it hard to remember who is who between the stories, PLUS the passage of time is hard to grapple with)
 
Books I have read but have resisted sending
  • The accidental billionaire: I bought it because I was genuinely curious about the story but the writing is just bad. I didn't send it because I felt my principle reader was too young for some of the content, but I may send it this year. 
  • Now that I remember I didn't send the last book in the Eragon series either, because it was a bit morbid, but again my reader is significantly older now, so can handle of of that way better
Books I will now hunt down
  • Some writers inspired by this list. I will consider myself an honorary but absent member of this book club (And a few years behind)
  • Frankenstein, I've read it on my phone and definitely want it to be a part of my library.
----
In other news about this library
  • I should name this library
    • Or maybe I don't have to name it yet, I will name it after what ever community my library will find itself in. Or ultimately this could be a network of libraries, because I know I can request things from my community library and they can send it from other libraries, which perpetuates the feeling of being a part of some larger community, so maybe I could name my library something inclusive and expansive but that still represents knowledge and information and growth.... I'll continue to reflect upon this for later
  • Maybe I should make an electronic database
    • I have decided this is actually something I MUST do, and pretty soon, mostly because I am buying from second hand stores I buy what I stumble across, which means I don't always stumble across entire sets and I forget what I have, and because I send books back home in small chunks, I forget what I sent and suspect some books may be repeated, and some sets left incomplete
    • So I will download this free trial and over time I will even invest in the scanner...at a later stage...at this stage I'll continue to invest in 4 dollar books..that's the kind of investment I can afford right now
      • I recently found an amazing book store filled wall to wall and floor to floor with books old and new and relatively cheap but the average price was 10 dollars (which is good for books) but the problem is if I bought 5 books that's an average of 50 dollars....
Currently reading
  • I stumbled across a few Goosbumps stories: I bought them because I remember reading them when I was younger and they are such a simple read and they draw emotion out of you really simply, in a quite formulaic manner too. But I loved them at the time so I bought them. 
  • I also bought Drift Street and Fat Forty and Fired 
    • It was a total of less than 10 dollars for all of them (and that's why I might return to this particular store.. :D)


No comments:

Post a Comment