Monday 27 May 2013

The Power of the Written Word

"Free delivery worldwide on all our books."

This to me sounds like this particular company will deliver everywhere (except in places of conflict, and places without post offices) for free
And then I found this list on their website

"Countries we ship to with free delivery"

I assumed that meant this company still delivered worldwide but not free everywhere. 
And only after emailing them to ask what the price was to ship to Zambia and I was told they 'do not ship to Zambia' did I realise there claim of free worldwide delivery is definately a lie. 
So I did some math. 
They deliver to 123 countries, (Including lots of tiny islands), assuming there are roughly 200 countries in the world, that means they deliver to roughly 60 percent of the world
BUT
Africa is the second largest and most populous continent and geographically significantly closer to this UK based company than the Americas and Australia. 
And of the 54 countries there they ship to 5 (Benin, Comoros, Mauritius, Seychelles, South Africa)

The problem
"worldwide" actually means most of the world
And even though they ship to 60 percent of the world they ship to less than 10 percent of Africa (the neighboring continent). 

Book depository you have disappointed me greatly, :(

No comments:

Post a Comment