Saturday 29 June 2013

Love Games

I just watched the entire Love Games series in one day.
Interesting

1. I enjoy watching Zambian things just for the joy of watching Zambians and hearing Zambian languages and seeing Zambia. So there is a part of me that was going to enjoy it no matter the topic.
2. As a Christian nation it was a bit sad to see how incredibly non Christian the characters were. There are two possible reasons for this (I hypothesis)
  • The funding: There was a huge amount of foreign funding and the it is possible that the funders ensured that what was created was more similar to the cultures where they come from.
  • The purpose: As a public service announcement, it had to depict the at risk groups, therefore this may have just been a part of demonstrating the message in the most effective way.
3. The Zambian middle class: It's a shame it see what the rise of the Zambian middle class looks like. To be honest it showed some of the things I absolutely hate about the geologically impossible 'western' culture.
  • The perpetuale presence of alcohol and the association of wine with wealth, and the constant, constant drinking. This makes me so angry here and it enraged me being depicted in Zambian T.V. And the problem with that portrayal is that those who watch it but can't afford constant wine then decide that wine is a symbol of wealth and will aim for daily wine consumption. The health and social consequences of alcohol are so extreme and counteract the safe sex message. Because so many people know what they should do and are committed to it but fail to do so when inebriated.
4. The funders: When I heard about it I was really excited to start watching a Zambian show and within the first ten seconds it was apparent it didn't belong to Zambia. It was about a message being spread and even though we were watching who knows the true message being perpetuated. I don't like that first ten seconds spent naming other organisations, makes me feel like a charity.

5. As far as the safe sex message. It was a great message but the power of a public service announcement depends on how well it communicates to it's target population, I can't answer that because I am most definitely not the target population. However I appreciated the different scenarios, and relationship models, absolutely hated the fact that majority were unfaithful it was a horrible way to see Zambians (but that's a personal thing). Got so angry at the men who were cheating but expecting their many partners to be faithful to them. Got extremely angry at the concept of 'chipikisha' club, especially being perpetuated to young people. But my anger and my desire to discuss doesn't do anything, because I am not the target population. Non of my actions and decisions have been changed.

I was interested in finding other's opinions about this show and stumbled across this article about an actor who is also a pastor and discussing his role in this show.  Interestingly the pastor also pointed out how the character he depicted was only slightly sinful while he rejected the offer to play a more sinful character.
  1. I think this is a very wrong and non biblical concept. There is no concept of slightly sinful and very sinful. God clearly says that all have fallen short of the glory of God. And therefore it doesn't matter the level of 'sinfulness' We are all imperfect and unworthy of his grace but because of who God is he has given us his son and paid the price. This concept of level of sinfulness I feel is extremely bad. and extremely unbiblical, because it leads people to think falsely good about themselves. So it leads people to look around them and see 'more sinful' people decide that their sin isn't so bad, rather than comparing themselves to God's word, rather than others.
  2. HOWEVER, I don't actually think the role a person plays on tv matters for actors. The question is about the purpose of the message they are a part of. For example they are many Christian movies out there and every movie has to have a bad guy and so being a bad guy in a movie OBVIOUSLY doesn't make you a bad guy in real life, it's all about the message that people walk away with. And I feel the basic message of love games was a life saving and educational one therefore we can't really hate someone for participating.
  3. HOWEVER, I wonder about the pastor with a dual role in his life. I know I can never be a pastors wife (definitely not heading down the pastor role myself) because I feel it is such a full-on, 100 percent job to guide people and be responsible for their eternal souls I don't think I can handle that. The need to constantly be in prayer, to heed God's word all the time, and to counsel and comfort those in your flock, I think is an amazing job but one that needs constant closeness with God. (in fact say a prayer for your pastor right now, because they need it). And based on my view of pastoral care and the role of pastors in the church, I don't know how I feel about him having this other job. Not just because he has another job, but because it is one that requires you to have an agent, a manager, to go to auditions, to not be regularly available for your church. He might have recording at whatever time is necessary he might be away for large chunks at a time, and it just doesn't seem conducive to guiding a flock. But in the article he says it depends on the person doing that dual role.

This is the only reference I found to love games online, rather than links to episodes. I am dissapponted about the lack of conversation ABOUT the show online, because I would have hoped it would have elicicted discussions, but again hopefully discussions are being had in Zambia.
Plus I do not have presence on facebook or twitter, so there might be discussions there. Because the point of a show like that is to open dialogue over topics that many do not discuss.


Overall
- interesting show but I dearly dearly hope it is not indicative of a new Zambian mentality.



No comments:

Post a Comment